How it works?
The Gore Cover Traps Odors and moisture ensuring a 97% odor reduction from conventional windrow while providing the ideal environment for microbial activity.
The simple design of the Gore Cover System allows operations to proceed outdoors and in full view. Escalating maintenance costs associated with complex mechanical systems used in other technologies are also avoided.
Sea to Sky Soils and Composting has focused its operational strategy around the Gore Cover System which is based on a membrane laminate technology similar to that of the Gore-Tex fabrics used for outerwear and footwear. Installed in more than 150 plants in 26 countries world wide, the benefits of the Gore Cover System include odor reduction of 90-97%; Bio-aerosol Emissions reduction of greater than 99 percent; less than 1 KWH/ton Energy Requirement and a three square feet/ton space requirement.
Gore Cover System Features:
- Repels water
- GORE-TEX® membrane Industrial grade tarp
- Contains odors& humidity
- Allows CO2 pass through
- Retains heat
- Optimizes biological activity
The Gore Cover System is classified as an in-vessel composting system by regulatory authorities and provides the following benefits over comparable technologies:
- Operations: Optimized operations and a reduction of stage treatment and multiple handling requirements (each heap is moved only twice)
- Utilities: Positive aeration drastically reduces utility operational costs (less than 1kWh of electricity per tonne of compost). The Gore Cover 2Hp blowers are on for approximately 2 minutes every 10. In comparison, “Negative Aeration Systems” must have their blowers on 24 hours a day 7 days a week to prevent negative odour events
- Layout: Compact design results in a drastically reduced facility footprint and a 400% improvement in throughput from conventional windrow systems
- Safety: Micro-porous GORE-TEX® membrane results in a microbe reduction of more than 99%
- Capital Cost: Very Competitive Project Start-Up Capital & Cycle Operation Costs allow the Gore Cover System to provide organic disposal fees well below landfill waste tip fees.
- Design Ingenuity: This Gore Cover allows a standard “Aerated Static Pile” to become an in-vessel system through the use of the patented membrane cover (This removes regulatory requirements for an enclosed facility)